Tuesday, July 7, 2009

spiralling down

Yesterday 7/7/09 (ignore the posted date. I'm in Australia, we are ahead of the world. It is already 8/7/09 here) Yesterday was another visit to the specialist not much has changed except as expected a decrease in overall kidney function. I'm at 14% (down from 17%, 6 months ago) so approx 6 months left before something has to be done, peritoneal dialysis or a transplant.

At the moment My wife and I are still being worked up (is that work over) for a live donor transplant. In addition to the test already mentioned I have had a course of Hep B shots (2 down 1 to go) a flu shot, some more time on the treadmill this time in combination with an echo cardiogram, live action video of my heart doing its thing before and after and 8 minute increasing brisk walk uphill.

I have two more items left to complete before being considered ready, willing and able for a transplant.

  1. Tomorrow I see a dermatologist. This is apparently because some of the drugs I will have to take post transplant may cause a skin problem ( I was an eczema baby. Whether or not that's relevant, who knows?)
  2. In about 5 months I will have the last of the aforementioned Hep B shots.

Meanwhile my lovely wife will be seeing a separate kidney specialist next week to check out if she can safely donate.

Crunch time is coming. A decision to proceed or not to proceed with the transplant will have to made.

One of my wife's concerns is if we're both out of action for weeks with no money coming, how do we pay the bills. We will be well fed and comfortably housed while in the hospital but there is also a long recover time at home( I know this because I've already had a kidney removed) I doubt the hospital will take care of our mortgage payments while we can't work.


No comments:

Post a Comment